Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Learning About Rules and Procedures in Physical Education


The beginning of the year is such an important time in Physical Education because there are many rules and procedures in place to help children have a positive experience.  The year starts off with me visiting each classroom to read the book, "Come Along Daisy", by Jane Simmons.  This story is about a baby duck who does not listen to the mommy duck's directions.  I wear a duck hat on my head and a duck "quacker" around my neck.  I tell children that throughout the year I will be the mommy duck and they will be my ducklings. I emphasize that it is my job to teach them and keep them safe.  In order to do that, they will need to watch me and listen and follow directions.  This analogy is one that children seem to understand. Children love my duck hat and think the "quacker" is a fun way to stop and listen for instructions.

  
Part of our first days in Physical Education involve learning the rules for the gymnasium.  I find it helpful to use pictures to denote expected behavior.  These pictures are placed on the wall where children can see them each day.  Inspector Respect reminds students to listen and follow directions so everyone can learn. I stress that children need to respect the rights of others to learn.  Topsy Turtle stands for "Try Your Best."  Shoo Fly reminds students not to tattle.  I try to teach children the difference between tattling (hurtful) and telling (helpful) and help them to resolve conflicts on their own by using their words.  They even act out a scenario so they can practice talking to another individual or apologizing. Happy Hearts reminds students to treat one another with love and kindness.  We talk about the "Golden Rule" and how if you want to have friends then you need to be a friend. Healthy Hands reminds students about germs.  We talk about keeping hands away from our nose and mouth so we do not spread germs. Private Space and General Space simply designate the area in which children will work during our Physical Education time. During PE, children did a movement activity to reinforce these rules.

At the end of class, students self assess their day in Physical Education.  If they feel they tried their best, they touch Daisy and say "Daisy Day."  If students feel that they did not give their best effort, then they can touch Oops and say "I'll try harder tomorrow."  This practice helps children become accountable for their work and behavior.  They love having a Daisy Day!