Saturday, May 2, 2020

Secretariat wins the "Kentucky Derby - Triple Crown Showdown" virtual race on NBC

 Secretariat

Everyone at school knows how much I love the Kentucky Derby.  Over the years it has been fun to study this event and reenact it with my students during PE classes.  I was sad to miss doing it this year.  That being said, it was fun for me today to watch a rerun of the 2015 Kentucky Derby when American Pharoah won the race and went on to end a 37 year drought for a Triple Crown winner.  After the rerun of the event, NBC held a virtual race called the "Kentucky Derby - Triple Crown Showdown" which slated the 13 Triple Crown winners against each other in a computerized version of the Kentucky Derby.  As with the real Derby, posts were randomly drawn.  In the end, the horse that I chose, Secretariat, was the overall winner of the virtual Derby.  (I have to admit, that Secretariat was picked by experts to win the race.)  I wore one of my Derby hats as I watched the virtual race and cheered for my horse.  What fun!!  Hopefully, our students will get to enjoy the "Run for the Roses" at school in the future.  The real Kentucky Derby has been rescheduled and will be run over Labor Day weekend on September 5.  I'm getting my hat ready now!

Mrs. Wagner finally picks a winner!