Sunday, May 5, 2019

Early Childhood Kentucky Derby for classes on Friday, May 3



Below are the links to the Kentucky Derby pictures for Friday, May 3.  In some classes I decided to do a Kentucky Oaks run, which is the run for the fillies the day before the Kentucky Derby.  This is the first time I have ever done this but it seemed to work out well for the larger classes.

I hope students got a chance to watch the Kentucky Derby this past Saturday.  Although it ended with a rather controversial decision (the initial winning horse was disqualified), I hope that children got a chance to see some of the events that we discussed in class (trumpet call to post, "Riders Up" call, the singing of "My Old Kentucky Home", the jockey parade, the ringing of the bell and opening of the gates, the fun hats, and the toasting with the mint juleps.)  I'm excited to hear the reaction from children who took the time to watch the race.

Mrs. Zarei's Kindergarten class ended up winning the roses since they chose Country House as the winning horse.  I will be delivering their roses to them on Monday morning.

Thank you to everyone who brought a hat to add to our festivities.  It was fun to walk down the halls and see all the hats lined up on the lockers.  Every year I am amazed at the creativity that people have when they make a hat.  It's been fun to hear the stories of hats refurbished or handed down from child to child with some new additions to "liven it up."  Hold on to those hats.  We'll be doing the Kentucky Derby again next year.